How to Compress a JPEG on Windows 10 for Free [Top 3 Compressors]
How to compress a JPEG file on Windows 10 for free? Photo compression takes just a few steps and can be done using a variety of software. We recommend three free compressors in this article. WorkinTool File Compressor wins the first due to its uttlerly free pricing, simple operation, and all-in-one features. It not only can compress image but also can minify video, PDF, Word, and PPT files with custom settings. If you don’t know how to compress these files. Read our guide and you can start immediately.
How to compress a JPEG on Windows 10? Images matter. If you are running a website or posting pictures online, you must know that if a picture is too large, it will take more time to upload and load. But on the other hand, few people are willing to take much time to wait for loading. A long time waiting will turn off a majority of viewers. Therefore, it’s necessary to improve page loading time. In addition, large pictures will take up much space of memory on your computer. Then running speed is down. With the trend of social media, knowing how to compress a JPEG, which is the most widely used image format, is essential not only for website runners but also for everyone who gets in touch with pictures in this world.
What is JPEG?
JPEG is a commonly used method of lossy compression for digital images, particularly for those images produced by digital photography. The degree of compression can be adjusted, allowing a selectable tradeoff between storage size and image quality. JPEG typically achieves 10:1 compression with little perceptible loss in image quality. Since its introduction in 1992, JPEG has been the most widely used image compression standard in the world, and the most widely used digital image format.
How to Compress a JPEG with WorkinTool
Image compression takes just a few steps and can be done using a variety of tools. Adobe Photoshop is a strong and powerful image editor and compressor. However, it’s not free. After we tested dozens of image compressors, we found the most convenient and high-efficient way to handle this problem. Everyone will find compressing image files is a piece of cake with this guide.
🥇How to Compress a JPEG with WorkinTool File Compressor
Considering there is a large need for compressing images, some companies designed file compressors especially to suit this need. Among a large number of good-quality options, WorkinTool File Compressor is the most recommended one due to its free pricing, good output quality, powerful features, and simple interface.
Do the following steps so you can achieve a quick compression. We assume that you’ve already downloaded the WorkinTool File Compressor and entered its project editing panel.
- Firstly, find Image Compression, upload your image(s) by clicking Add file
Notes: Batch processing is available, so you can add multiple images and compress them at a time. And the input formats include JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, HEIC, WEBP, and so on.
- Secondly, custom settings of the compression as you like.
Before & After Comparison
WorkinTool File Compressor reduces this picture size successfully from 1.6MB to 176KB without losing quality.
- At the top of this window, it indicates the JPEG information, such as the original and reduced size, resolution, and status. You may check this section to make sure the information is what you want.
- In the General Settings, you can select which mode to shrink your JPEG. The Smaller Size option focuses on the compressing level. On the other hand, the Clear Output option focuses on the Quality level. Of course, The Normal COMP balances the two features. The output format can be JPG or you can save it in its original format. General Settings is automatic so it is more clinging to beginners.
- Another box to set your compressing level is in the Additional Settings. You can enter an accurate number for clarity, size, Resolution, and zooming level. The higher the parameter, the better the image quality shows. It is more likely for image edit pros to use these functions.
- Finally, if you have decided on your unique compressing setting, hit “Compress” to start this process.
How to Compress a JPEG with Alternative Solutions
In addition to this simple but practical software, there are free alternatives that should be simple enough for new users to pick up. If you’ll only use photo-editing software to minify or resize a few images, these options are enough to work.
🥈How to Reduce JPEG size with Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word is another option for image compression. More steps are needed for how to compress a JPEG with this tool. But it’s not difficult. Follow these steps to reduce your images size using Microsoft Word:
- Firstly, open a new Word document and click the Insert tab on the top left side of the screen.
- Secondly, choose the Pictures icon from the list of choices and open your JPEG picture.
- Thirdly, click on the picture. Under the Picture Format menu, find the Adjust menu in the secondary toolbar and click Compress Pictures.
- Fourthly, set compression options and resolutions as you want in the pop-up window and click OK.
- Finally, right-click the picture＞Save as Picture＞set file name and save path＞save.
Then your photo will shrink successfully. However, it can only process one image in one manual operation, It needs more time and patience if you want to compress more pictures.
🥉How to Shrink a JPEG file with Paint
Paint is a built-in program of the Windows 10 system. It’s also working if you want to know how to compress a JPEG images. Here are the steps.
- Firstly, open your JPEG with Paint.
- Secondly, find the Image menu＞Resize＞resize by percentage or by pixels＞OK.
- Finally, find File on the top left side of the screen＞Save as＞JPEG picture.
📢Notes: Be sure you save your image by the Save as option, or this program will automatically cover your original image if you click the purple Save icon.
Then your photo will minify successfully. Similarly, it does not support batch processing. It can only shrink one image at a time. Therefore you need to pay more time and patience if you want to compress more pictures with Paint.
Comparison of the Three Compressors
|WorkinTool File Compressor||Microsoft Word||Microsoft Paint|
|Free||Paid for advanced features||Free|
|Multiple output formats||Limited output formats||Limited output formats|
|Batch processing available||Single picture processing||Single picture processing|
|All-in-one compressor||Limited functions||Limited functions|
Photo compression takes just a few steps and can be done using a variety of software. If you don’t know how to compress a JPEG on Windows 10 for free. Read our guide and you can start immediately. You can also reduce JPEG file size using some of the other methods we didn’t mention above. It depends on your preference and your business’s software capabilities. Shrinking JPEG images isn’t rocket science, and platforms like WorkinTool File Compressor, Word, and Paint can all get the job done.
We recommend WorkinTool sincerely because it’s not only an image compressor, but can compress video, PDF, Word, and PPT files at the same time. With this all-in-one program, you won’t pay extra time and energy to file compressing. Now download and give it a try! You’ll find it’s beyond your expectation!