Convert Image to PNG | 3 FREE Solutions on Windows
We have to admit that our digital social life is now teeming with photos. Since there are 100+ picture formats, image conversion has become an increasing demand for most people. PNG, as a format sharing equal importance with JPG, has been a frequently-used one in the workplace or at school. Today, we will introduce you to 3 FREE and effective solutions to converting images to PNG on Windows, including WorkinTool Image Converter, Paint and Adobe Photoshop. They all prove to be simple and convenient, and you don’t have to be tech-savvy to try them. Please start your reading now.
Convert Image to PNG | 3 FREE Solutions on Windows
We have to admit that our digital social life is now teeming with photos. Since there are 100+ picture formats, image conversion has become an increasing demand for most people. PNG, as a format sharing equal importance with JPG, has been a frequently-used one in the workplace or at school.
Today, we will introduce you to 3 FREE and effective solutions to converting images to PNG on Windows. They all prove to be simple and convenient, and you don’t have to be tech-savvy to try them.
Now, let’s begin.
Things to Know Before Converting Image to PNG
There is definitely something that you should know before your image-to-PNG conversion.
📝What is the Difference Between PNG and JPG?
PNG, known as Portable Network Graphics, usually uses lossless compression algorithm. That means that the image quality was the same before and after the compression. Therefore, a PNG image is generally of high quality and its size is typically large. Also, PNG files support transparency, which will be easier for an editor to remove the background of the image and make it transparent or change its background color.
JPG or JPEG, short for Joint Photographic Experts Group, is always considered as an image file with lower quality in comparison with PNG. Since it uses lossy compression algorithm, some of the image data is lost, but its size is normally smaller. Additionally, a JPG file doesn’t support transparency in the images, so it will be difficult or sometimes impossible to make a transparent photo in this format.
If you are interested in this topic, you can read Adobe’s JPEG vs PNG for more information.
📝Why do you need to convert image to PNG?
As mentioned above, PNG, as a lossless image format that supports transparency, can be used for most professional purposes, such as web graphics, logos, charts, and illustrations. Moreover, its lossless feature will guarantee the high quality of the images displayed on your website or in your presentation at your companies or schools. JPG, as a result of its lossy compression algorithm, is more suitable for photographic sake. Although the size of PNG is larger than that of JPG or WEBP, it is smaller than a HEIC or a RAW file but maintains their qualities. Hence, it would be an ideal choice.
Here let’s move on to changing an image to a PNG file.
Convert Image to PNG–The Easiest Way
Indeed, there are multiple methods of turning an image into a PNG file presently. However, resorting to a handy desktop tool will definitely be a super simple way to realize this goal. Today, we are going to present you with a practical and helpful tool–WorkinTool Image Converter.
Transforming your images to PNG files in WorkinTool Image Converter is effortless. Here is a tutorial on how to convert image to PNG through it:
(Taking JPG, BMP and WEBP to PNG as examples)
1. Find Convert Image and then click Add Images to upload your picture(s).
2. Choose PNG as the output format in the drop-down box shown in the screenshot and then click Start.
3. Press View now to retrieve all your converted images.
Please see the results below:
The reasons for choosing WorkinTool Image Converter:
- Lightweight and Simple: WorkinTool is lightweight enough to take up little PC space. Also, it boasts an easy-to-use interface with instructions on almost each feature page, so even beginners will find it simple and convenient to use.
- Multiple Formats Supported: WorkinTool enables you to make images in 100+ formats into PNG files with minimal effort. Therefore, it is able to resolve nearly all your problems concerning image conversion.
- Batch Processing Instantly: WorkinTool allows you to change multiple pictures simultaneously to PNG images with just one click, and you will expect your outcomes in an instant.
- High Quality Guarantee: The converted PNG files via WorkinTool will be exported without losing quality.
- Utterly FREE currently: You are entitled to all the features of WorkinTool without any license payment and personal registration.
- Green Without Ads and Intrusive Watermark: There will be no advertisements in the course of your conversion and no intrusive watermark added to the output.
- Powerful with Various Features: WorkinTool, more than an image converter, provides you with additional features for both professional use and fun. You can use it to remove the background of a picture, make an ID photo, enlarge a photo, colorize old photos, convert image to black and white, add filters or special effects to a picture, make a picture collage and more.
Convert Image to PNG–Two Alternative Ways
There are absolutely other approaches to image-to-PNG conversion.
1. Use Paint to save your images as PNG files
Paint is a built-in program in Windows operating system. With its upgrading, it is now capable of satisfying your basic image processing needs. It is free and easy to turn an image into a PNG file and here comes the instruction:
1). Open your image with Paint.
2). Find File>Save as>PNG Picture.
- Good News: It provides users with a simple conversion process and supports multiple mainstream image formats to meet your daily requests.
- Bad News: Batch processing is unavailable, so you have to convert your various images one by one.
2. Use Adobe Photoshop to export your pictures to PNG files
There is no doubt that Adobe Photoshop remains the primary choice for a range of people, especially professional image editors when it comes to image-related issues. Much as it is a limited free program, image conversion feature is available even without a license payment because no advanced or complex function will be involved.
This is a guide for image-to-PNG conversion in Adobe Photoshop.
1. Open your picture with Adobe Photoshop.
2. Choose File>Save as.
3. Then select PNG in the drop-down box.
Also, you can try another method with Photoshop if you intend to export a more customized output.
1). Choose File>Export>Export as
2). Select PNG in the highlighted drop-down box and then change the parameters in Image Size.
3). Then click Export All.
- The conversion process is far from challenging and image size is changeable to help you get a more customized PNG image.
- Its complex interface with so many professional features will be unfriendly for beginners and most image amateurs.
- Furthermore, batch processing is impossible in this software and it will take you plenty of time if you have more than one photo to process.
- Also, it doesn’t support as many formats as the other two mentioned tools do.
- Meanwhile, you will have to make a costly license payment to continue enjoying all its features when the expiry date of its free version comes.
Something More to Say
📌Desktop Software vs Online Tool
It is totally up to you to make a choice. The desktop software will be convenient since it requires no internet access after its installation on your PC and will be much safer for your data privacy and information security. But it may be less comfortable that you have to download and install the program or purchase an activation key if it isn’t completely free.
An online tool will be helpful as you need not install any third-party software and will expect an outcome instantly. However, for some websites, ads will be an annoying element during your conversion, while there may be a watermark added to your converted file. At the same time, information safety is still a crucial issue owing to people’s growing concern over it. If you intend to use an online tool, you can try Tool Rocket, an online version of WorkinTool.
Converting image to PNG is less challenging nowadays in that there are dozens of ways to fulfill this objective. Whichever methods you are about to try, we sincerely hope that you can pick your ideal solution. However, trust me, WorkinTool Image Converter will offer you the easiest way to meet this need.
So are you ready to begin your conversion now?