How to Compress BMP Files for FREE on Windows
A BMP file sometimes can be huge, so it is essential to master the technique to compress it. If you have no clue about this topic, you can refer to this article that discusses how to compress BMP files on Windows: compressing BMP files on Windows with a third-party tool–WorkinTool File Compressor and reducing BMP file size without a third-party tool–Microsoft Photos. Both of them prove to be easy, convenient and FREE. Please start your reading now to know the specific instructions.
How to Compress BMP Files for FREE on Windows
A BMP image, though less frequently used than JPG or PNG files, is still a pretty typical picture format in the current digital world. However, a BMP file sometimes can be huge, so it is essential to master the technique to compress it. If you have no clue about this topic, you can refer to this article that discusses how to compress BMP files on Windows:
- How to Compress BMP Files on Windows with a Third-Party Tool?
- How to Reduce BMP File Size on Windows Without a Third-Party Tool?
Both methods prove to be helpful, practical and FREE. Now, let’s begin.
Things to Know Before BMP Compression
📌What is a BMP file?
BMP, also known as bitmap, is a raster graphics image file format that is used to store bitmap digital images. It is an image format developed by Microsoft and widely used in its Windows operating system. However, compared with a JPG picture, a BMP file is usually larger in size as it uses lossless compression algorithm like a PNG image and contains a lot of data, making it definitely a high-quality image.
📢Why do you need to compress BMP file?
As mentioned above, a .bmp image generally possesses a larger size than a mainstream format like a .jpg file. So if you intend to save your PC space or share BMP files faster via email, you can have them compressed to realize. If you plan to add BMP pictures into a Word document or a PowerPoint presentation, it will be much better to compress them, or all these office files will be saved in very large sizes.
As a result, it is critical to know how to reduce BMP file size and please continue your reading to learn it.
How to Compress BMP Files on Windows with a Third Party Tool?
It is almost not difficult to compress BMP files with the help of a handy desktop tool. Well, we will save your time by introducing you to a useful one–WorkinTool File Compressor.
📕How to Shrink BMP Files on Windows by WorkinTool File Compressor?
1. Open the tool and find Image Compressor.
2. Click Add file to upload your .bmp picture.
3. Choose the compression mode in General Settings or customize your reduction settings in Additional Settings and then hit Compress.
1). Three compression modes are available in WorkinTool File Compressor
- Smaller Size: It presents an outcome with the smallest size possible to compress with the slightest influence on its quality. You will usually expect an output size 70%-90% smaller than the original one.
- Normal Compression: It helps to reduce the 50%-60% size of your original BMP file while maintaining its good quality.
- Clearer Output: It will provide a compressed BMP image without losing quality. It will normally shrink the size of your original file by 30%-50%.
Here are the results.
2). You can get a customized output with the help of WorkinTool’s Additional Settings:
- Clarity: You can decide how clear your output is. The clearer you want it to be, the larger its size will be.
- File Size: You can compress your BMP file to the chosen size when using this feature. However, the clarity might be impacted if the size you select is too small.
- Resolution: Your BMP file size is adjustable by changing its resolution. The smaller its resolution is, the less large its size will be.
- Zoom: How big is your content in your BMP file is optional by using this function. The bigger your content is, the larger its size will be.
3). Batch compression is possible in WorkinTool File Compressor. Hence, you can make multiple compressed BMP files with just one click.
📌What is WorkinTool and why should you choose it?
WorkinTool File Compressor is a powerful and all-around solution provider for mainstream file compression. Inspired by lightweight and practical ideas, its designers endow it with an easy-to-use interface and put some brief instructions on each feature page, making beginners find it convenient to use.
Here are some specific reasons for picking it:
WorkinTool File Compressor boasts the following abilities:
|Features||Supported File Formats|
|Image Compressor||JPG, PNG, GIF and BMP|
|Video Compressor||MP4, WMV, AVI and FLV|
|Word Compressor||DOC and DOCX|
|PowerPoint Compressor||PPT and PPTX|
Therefore, it proves a great help in the modern workplace and at school.
💡Three Compression Modes
There are three compression modes to get the customized reduced files based on your different needs: Smaller Size, Normal Compression and Clearer Output.
💡Additional Settings Available
You can expect a more customized outcome with the features in this section: Clarity, File Size, Resolution and Zoom.
You can export several shrunk BMP files with just one click.
The compressed BMP files processed by WorkinTool will be saved without losing quality.
There will be no ads involved in the course of your file compression and no intrusive watermarks on your outcome.
WorkinTool File Compressor provides a free trial for Windows users. You can compress a BMP file below 200 KB for free without any other limits.
How to Reduce BMP File Size on Windows Without a Third-Party Tool?
For those who think it inconvenient to download and install an offline tool, you may find this chapter helpful enough to resolve your problem. Here, you can resort to Microsoft Photos.
Microsoft Photos is a useful built-in program in Windows. If your operating system is upgraded to Windows 11, your Photos will be an image viewer and editor. Hence, you can use it to resize an image, including a .bmp file.
📕How to reduce BMP file size on Windows through Microsoft Photos?
1. Open your BMP image with Microsoft Photos.
2. Click the ellipsis-like icon (…) and then find Resize.
3. Select the mode to compress your file to the smallest size and then click Save in the pop-up window.
You can adjust the resolution of your BMP picture to customize its ultimate size by choosing Define custom dimensions.
Please see our verdict on this method:
|😊Good News||😒Bad News|
A proper solution will make your BMP compression effortless and instant. We sincerely hope that you can pinpoint one after finishing this article. However, it is advisable to give WorkinTool File Compressor a try.
Now, are you ready to compress your BMP files?